Frenquently Asked Questions
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions ask by customers throughout the year. These questions may answer some questions you may have. Please click the question below to reveil the answer. All questions are real questions that we have been asked.
Some of our services have changed over the years and some of our FAQ's no longer apply.
- Are there windows on the train?
- Are there restrooms onboard the train?
- Does the train have seats?
- Is there food onboard the train?
- Is food included in the ticket price?
- Can I get on in Hinton?
- Can our party sit together?
- How long is the train ride?
- What is in Hinton, WV?
- Is there a place to smoke on the train?
- Is there alcohol served on the train?
- Where do we board the train?
- Can I board the train in Cincinnati, Dayton, Akron, Ashland, or anywhere else?
- How many days of the year does the train run?
- What is a Dome car?
- Is there parking available at the Depot?
- When will we receive our tickets?
- Do we get a confirmation number?
- Is there an open air car?
- Do we use a steam engine?
- Is this an Amtrak train?
- Do we stop along the way to Hinton?
- Do we stop at the New River Gorge Bridge?
- Will we see people during Bridge Day?
- I am Mobily Impaired or have a hard time walking, can I ride the train?
- What is the difference between Coach, Premium, Dome and Business Car Services?
- Can I cancel my tickets?
- Is it cheaper to get on the train in St. Albans?
- Can I go one way to Hinton?
- Are there hotels near the train station?
- Can I make hotel reservations with the Railroad Historical Society?
- Are the train excursions one way or round trip?
- Are there any senior, AAA, or AARP discounts?
- Do you have to get out of the Dome car to go through a tunnel?
- Is this an overnight excursion?
- Does the train travel over the New River Gorge Bridge?
If you have any other questions, or a question that is not listed, please contact our office at: 866-639-7487. Our office is opened Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm.
1. Are there windows on the train?
Yes, there are windowsion every car which run the length of the railcar.
2. Are there restrooms onboard the train?
Yes, there is at least one restroom per car. Some cars may have two restroom facilities onboard. If a car does not have a restroom, there will be a restroom in on of the neighboring cars.
3. Does the train have seats?
Yes, there are seats onboard. Everyone will have their own seat. Seats are not assigned and are picked by the customer when they board the train. In Heritage Coach, Premium, and Dome Services, you will be assigned to a car, and you will be able to pick your seats in that car, the day of the trip, when you board the train. THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO RESERVED SEATING, except for large groups of 15 or more will have a section taped off.
4. Is there food onboard the train?
Yes. There is a Cafe Car on board the train, which any customer may purchase food from, and bring back to their seat. Passengers may also bring their own food in a small cooler not exceeding a 12 can capcity. NO ALCOHOL is allowed on the train!
5. Is food included in the ticket price?
In Coach and Heritage Coach Service food is NOT included. Premium, Private Room, and Dome serivces includes a breakfast and a dinner which will be prepared on the train, and served in route. Not everyone will be served at one time. Business Class passengers will recevie breakfast, lunch, and dinner prepared by a private chef onboard that car.
6. Can I get on in Hinton?
No. The train originates in Huntington, WV. Passengers riding in the Premium & Dome Service cars are required to board in Huntington only. All of the passengers in Coach and Heritage Coach Service must board in either Huntington, or St. Albans, WV.
7. Can our party sit together?
There is NO RESERVED seating on the train. If your friends order separately, you MUST inform the NRT office when you make your reservation. No seating requests will be granted after September 1, 2016. If you do not tell us about friends you wish to sit with before September 1, 2016, we will NOT garuntee being assinged to the same railroad car.
8. How long is the train ride?
Boarding begins at 7:00 am. The train departs the station at 8:30 am sharp. The train returns at 8:30 pm at night. That is an 12 hour trip. We are off the train up to 3 hours in middle of the trip in the town of Hinton, WV for the Railroad Days Festival. Due to traveling on the mainline railroad, we are not responsible for loss of time or tardiness of the train.
9. What is in Hinton, WV?
Hinton has the Railroad Days Festival all four days we run the train. There are local Arts, Crafts, Food, Entertrainment, and an indoor Railroad Museum.
10. Is there a place to smoke on the train?
No. There is absolutly no smoking on the train at any place or time. This is an Amtrak rule, as well as our organization's policy. If anyone is smoking onboard the train, we will stop the train and let that person off with a police escort. The ONLY stop to Smoke is Hinton, WV. There will be NO WARING given to smokers smoking on the train. Smolking effects others onboard and smokers will be let off at any time during the trip and no refund will be given.
11. Is there alcohol served on the train?
No. No alcohol is allowed to be consummed on the train at anytime during the trip. This is our organization's policy. If anyone who is consumming alcohol, have been given a warning and is still consumming it, we will stop the train and let that person off with a police escort.
12. Where do we board the train?
The train boards at the old C&O Railroad depot on 7th Ave, & 9th Street in Huntington, WV. In St. Albans, we board at the Old C&O Railroad depot on 4th Ave & 4th Street, in St Albans, WV. Boarding information will be sent in with you tickets in the first part of OCTOBER! Click Here for more details about boarding!
13. Can I board the train in Cincinnati, Dayton, Akron, Ashland, or anywhere else?
No. The train originates in Huntington, WV where you will have to get to on your own, in order to ride the train.
14. How many days of the year does the train run?
The train runs ONLY 4 days a year in October.
15. What is a Dome car?
A dome car gives a unique view of the landscape. You are sitting in a glass dome, on the second flood of a railcar, which gives you an unobstructed view of the area. Aisle ways and stairways are narrow and cannot accomidate all passengers. Please read our disclamier policy HERE
16. Is there parking available at the Depot?
In Huntinton, there is NO PARKING allowed at the depot. Parking is available on the street at no cost due to Huntington having no meters on weekends. Also, there is a parking lot one (1) block away which we use and that is free to park in.
17. When will we receive our tickets?
Tickets are not sent until the begining of October. After October 1th, is when we usually send all tickets out in the mail. You may not recieve your ticekts any sooner if you decide to purchase in person. Due to mailing the tickets, passengers are urged to give time for the postal service to deliver before calling.
18. Do we get a confirmation number?
Yes. When ordering, you will receive a confirmation number. If you provide us with your email address, you will also receive an email confirmation. If you purchase tickets online, you will also receive an email confirmation.
19. Is there an open air car?
No. All cars are enclosed and either Heated or Air Conditioned depending on the weather.
20. Do we use a steam engine?
No, We do not use a steam engine. The last time we used steam was in 1994.
21. Is this an Amtrak train?
This is NOT an Amtrak train! The Railroad Historical Society, leases Amtrak equipment, Locomotives, and some cars. We also have an Amtrak crew which opperates the train, Conductor and engineer. The other 20 cars, are private railcars which we bring in from around the country. Ticket sales are through the Railroad Historical Society. All workers, safety Crew, EMS, Car Hosts, Maintance crew and other people on the trian are volunteers from the Railroad Historical Society. This train is a privatly chartered train and NOT an Amtrak train. Passengers may ONLY purchase tickets through our office at: 304-523-0364 or online.
22. Do we stop along the way to Hinton?
The only stop we make is to pick Coach and Heritage Coach passengers up in St. Albans. There are no other stops along the way. You may NOT get off at any stop except Hinton.
23. Do we stop at the New River Gorge Bridge?
No. We do not stop at the bridge.
24. Will we see people jumping during Bridge Day?
No. Due to the hazard of landing on the tracks, there are no jumps allowed while any train passes under the bridge.
25. I am Mobily Impaired or have a hard time walking, can I ride the train?
We will not, and do NOT accept ANY motorized wheelchairs and/or scooters onboard the train. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule!
**This trip will not be handicap accessible. Historic and antiquated rail passenger equipment, like that used on this excursion, is exempt from ADA regulations under U.S. Code: Title 42: Section 12184. The passenger cars and station facilities used on this excursion were constructed before disability accessibility laws were adopted. Platforms, boarding areas, stairs, step-stools, seating, and especially doorways, passageways, aisles, and onboard restrooms may not accomodate all passengers. We will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate differently abled passengers who desire to ride this train.Back To Top
26. What is the difference between Coach, Heritage Coach, Premium, Dome and Business Car Services?
Please check out the link HERE to view seating arrangments!
27. Can I cancel my tickets?
You may cancel your tickets up until September 1 by 4pm, before the New River Train. However, there will be a 15% cancelation fee per ticket. After September 1, there will be no refunds granted.
28. Is it cheaper to get on the train in St. Albans?
No. All tickets are the same price no matter where you get on the train.
29. Can I go one way to Hinton?
You may go one way, however, the ticket price does not change. Alll prices are the same no matter if you go one way or round trip. Also, you must make your own arrangements after Hinton. Please contact us if you plan on doing this. You may NOT ride the train one day to Hinton, then another day back to Huntington.
30. Are there hotels near the train station?
Yes. There are 2 hotels which are farley close to the station. The rest of the 12 hotels are no more than ten minutes away from the boarding location. If you need hotel information, please visit the Huntington Convention & Visitors Beauru Website at: www.wvvisit.org and click on accommodations (stay).
31. Can I make hotel reservations with the Railroad Historical Society?
No. You have to make hotel arrangments on your own with the hotel of your choice in advance. Some hotels will sell out before October, so please make arrangments sooner rather than later.
32. Are the train excursions one way or round trip?
All the New River Train Excursions are Round Trip from Huntington, WV to Hinton, WV and Return.
33. Are there any senior, AAA, or AARP discounts?
There are no discounts for any listed above.
36. Does the train tavel over the New River Gorge Bridge?
No. The New River Gorge Bridge is an Automobile Bridge which carries a road. The New River Train travels under the New River Gorge Bridge along the New River.
If you have any other questions, or a question that is not listed, please contact our office at: 866-639-7487 or you may email us at: [email protected]. Our office is opened Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm.